Sunday, April 3, 2011

Gone Fishing

I'll never forget the excitement, and anticipation of a fishing trip with my Dad. Every year, Dad, Uncle Carroll, Uncle Kelly, and myself traveled north a few hours up to Fairbault, MN to escape the challenges of everyday life. A lot of kids my age at that point in time would want nothing to do with a trip like this. 4 days spent with your Dad and family members trapped on a boat in the middle of a lake with nothing to do but talk. Me? I loved it. I looked forward to it. I miss it.

We never got up too early. We always stayed up too late. There were days we would hardly fish, and some when we would fill the buckets. There was one thing guaranteed. Laughter. I remember laughing myself to tears listening to stories of Dad and Carroll growing up. Meeting "the locals" in the cabins next door. Exploring new bars and restaurants in "downtown" Fairbault. And of course, having a beer with your Dad for the first time.

We haven't gone on a trip in many years. I'd be interested to explore our old stomping grounds now. See what's changed, what's stayed the same. Dad and I always talk about taking a few trips and "getting  back" into fishing. Maybe this is the year. Maybe it's time. Maybe, it's long overdue.

No comments:

Post a Comment